The West Virginia Water Gaging Council was created effective May 18, 2005.
The Council’s mission is to ensure that reliable water-resources gaging data are available to meet the various needs of West Virginia stakeholders. The council shall work to support the following activities:
• Establishing and maintaining long-term data networks.
Water-resources gaging data may include long-term continuous information on precipitation, surface-water, and ground-water quantity; aquatic environments; and associated parameters,such as channel geometry and basin characteristics.
• Obtaining reliable data sets.
The Council strives to ensure that water-resources gaging data are reliable. Reliable data are considered by the Council as those which are collected and analyzed according to standardized or documented procedures and which are quality-controlled and assured.
• Maintaining publicly accessible data sets.
Water gaging activities will be coordinated to reduce duplication of efforts and data sharing will be encouraged to make the data available to other interested parties. Available data are those stored and maintained in and retrievable from publicly accessible digital databases.
• Obtaining relevant data sets.
West Virginia stakeholders need water-resources gaging data for such purposes as predicting floods and droughts; designing bridges and dams; permitting and mitigating pollution discharges; evaluating water supplies; planning fishing and boating recreation; and protecting, restoring, and managing the aquatic environment.
• Supporting long-term viability of gaging networks.
The Council supports efforts that ensure the availability of long-term water-resources gaging data, including: 1) collection and maintenance of the data, 2) educating agencies and organizations about the usefulness and value of the data, and 3) gaining needed public and financial support.
1. West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection (WVDEP)
2. West Virginia Conservation Agency (WVCA)
3. West Virginia Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (WVDHSEM)
4. West Virginia Department of Transportation Division of Highways (WVDOH)
5. West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (WVDNR)
6. West Virginia University, National Research Center for Coal and Energy (NRCCE)/West Virginia Water Research Institute (WVWRI)
7. National Weather Service (NWS)
8. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)
9. U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
10. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Services (NRCS)
11. Canaan Valley Institute (CVI)
12. West Virginia Rivers Coalition (WVRC)
13. Michael Baker Jr. Incorporated
Memorandum of Understanding to Establish and Govern the West Virginia Water Gaging Council
Memorandum of Understanding Updated (01-20-10) [.pdf 291KB]
(Click Article to read full story.)
No WVWGC events scheduled; please check back later.
To make a donation to the West Virginia Water Gaging Council please contact.
Ronald D. Evaldi
U.S. Geological Survey, West Virginia Water Science Center
11 Dunbar Street
Charleston, WV 25301
West Virginia Conservation Agency
U.S. Geological Survey
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service
NOAA's National Weather Service
West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection
West Virginia Division of Natural Resources
West Virginia Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management
West Virginia Department of Transportation
West Virginia Water Research Institute
West Virginia Rivers Coalition
Canaan Valley Institute
Michael Baker Corporation
For more information on the West Virginia Water Gaging Council activities or for inquiries,comments and suggestions, please contact the Council at:
Russ Campbell, West Virginia Gaging Council Chair
c/o West Virginia Conservation Agency
Gus R. Douglass Agricultural Center at Guthrie
1900 Kanawha Blvd. E
Charleston, WV 25305
(304) 558-2204 (w) ext: 211
(304) 558-1635 (f)
Hugh Bevans, West Virginia Gaging Council Vice-Chair
c/o U.S. Geological Survey, West Virginia Water Science Center
11 Dunbar Street
Charleston, WV 25301